We are delighted to introduce our new instrument - Travel Ngoni
After decades of producing Ngoni from different gourds, years of cracks and fractures caused by damage during shipping, and returns because the gourd arrived broken… After months of designing, building models and many trials, we have finally figured it out - Unbreakable Ngoni!
The gourd was replaced with Polyethylene (flexible plastic) and the rest stayed the same - 100% handmade. The result is incredible! Soothing warm sound to the ears, comfortable to play, durable and robust, easy to carry anywhere with no fear of breakage, portable and childproof. High quality finish with unique design for each individual piece. Lightweight - under 4 lbs (2kg).
Ideal size for children and adults.
- 100% handmade in high standards by a professional musician and craftsmen from high-quality materials and elegant finish.
- Soothing and hypnotic sounds, unique to this traditional African string instrument. Nourish your soul with the relaxing vibrations of the Ngoni, which penetrate the alpha brain waves to induce calmness and creativity.
- Incredible relaxing addition to music circles, sound baths, healing sessions, meditation, yoga, spiritual events, social gatherings, traditional practices and more.
- Lightweight and easy to carry. Under 4lbs. Childproof and convenient to use by children and adults.
- Outstanding customer care - with decades of experience in shipping and handling delicate instruments, we know how to deliver the best possible product in a timely manner with careful packaging to avoid any damage during transportation.
Two models available for purchase:
Diameter: 11.8” (30cm)
Length: 37.5” (95cm)
Weight: 3.9lbs (1.8kg)
Wood material (neck and bridge): Mahogany/Maple
Scale: D Minor Pentatonic
Tuning the Ngoni by string number:
1-D, 2-F, 3-G, 4-A, 5-C, 6-D', 7-F', 8-G
The Travel Ngoni is 100% handmade. We stretch the skin in a unique design for each individual instrument. The image demonstrates the size and shape, although some changes may occur in the skin’s pattern over the ball, affected by the layout of the pins used to stretch the skin.
The neck, bridge, weight, length and diameter are always the same.
Storage and safety instructions:
- Avoid putting your hands inside the ball (sound box) - there are sharp pins holding the skin which may cause an injury.
- The instrument is NOT heat resistant. Long exposure to direct sunlight or in a closed hot space such as a vehicle may damage the Ngoni.
- Drop downs may damage and even break the Ngoni.
To ideally reserve the Ngoni, we recommend storing it in a shaded area indoors, leaned against a wall corner, or laid on a soft surface such as a sofa, to prevent it from rolling over and falling.
To tighten the string, turn the tuning key right (clockwise).
To loosen the string, turn the thing key left (counterclockwise).
Avoid over tightening which may cause the string to break. Tightening should be done slowly and gently until the desired sound is achieved.
The bridge is located in the center of the skin, which is stretched on top of the sound box, and it is the area which applies the most pressure on the Ngoni.
The string starts from the metal ring at the bottom, goes through the bridge to the stem and on to the tuning key.
The pressure may cause the bridge to slightly move up or down, so it has a black cord which holds it steady. In case a buzzing sound is noticed from one of the strings during playing, it is likely that the bridge slightly moved and is now at an imprecise angle.
To resolve this issue, untie the black cord and pull it lightly so the bridge will move down about 0.2 inches (0.5 cm). If buzzing continues, pull slightly more and check again.
Once the buzzing stops, secure the black cord again. You may use any knot to prevent the cord from untying. The Ngoni will then need to be tuned again before playing, since all the strings moved during the bridge adjustment.
Lean the Ngoni against a wall corner or lay it down in a safe spot, to prevent it from falling or getting trampled.
The company is responsible under these manufacturer guidelines only.